Applying for financial Aid
Our goal is to make JMS Nashville affordable for all accepted students, and the School is proud to provide such assistance. Many of our students receive some form of financial aid. We base our decision on a combination of need and availability of funds. All candidates must complete and submit the relevant financial forms (below), and provide copies of the last 2 years of tax returns..Please see our Financial Assistance Policy or email Becky Gunn at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions about making JMS affordable for your child.
We partner with School and Student Services (SSS) in our financial aid process. To begin, complete the SSS Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) which is the cornerstone of our financial aid application process. By submitting a PFS, you are granting SSS permission to analyze your financial information. Using their unique methodology, they estimate the amount you can contribute to school expenses and forward that estimate to the appropriate schools. It’s one form, for one fee for any number of applicant children, for any number of schools.
The PFS is a comprehensive application that may take some time to complete. You’ll need your most recent tax return before beginning the PFS. We recommend reviewing SSS resources to help with the financial aid process.
We will communicate our financial aid decision to you. To make our decision, we use the information from the PFS as a starting point and consider our school policies, practices, and available budget.
How to complete your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) online
1) Beginning October 2, 2020, go to the SSS Family Portal.
2) Create your Family Portal account with your email address and a password. If you applied for financial aid last year, log into the Family Portal as a Returning Family using your same email address and password.
3) Complete a PFS for Academic Year 2021-22. You can log out at any time and return later to finish it.
4) When all PFS sections are complete with green check marks, the Submit & Pay button activates. Follow prompts to the payment screen. The $55 fee is nonrefundable. Once your PFS is submitted, it cannot be withdrawn from the SSS system.
5) After you pay for and submit your PFS, access to “My Documents” activates to upload required documents by their deadlines as part of your application process. Be sure to submit required documents by their deadlines to complete your application.
How to submit your required documents online
Prepare your document files for uploading. Make sure the documents are on your computer and each specific form is saved as a separate file. Examples: (a) 1 PDF file for the 1040 with all schedules and worksheets included, (b) each W2 saved as its own file. Remove any security or password protection from your files.
Return to your Family Portal account and confirm you are on the Academic Year 2021-22 Dashboard.
Open “My Documents” from the Dashboard.
In the “Required Documents” section, use the Upload button or link associated with the specific document type. Follow prompts to locate, select, and confirm the file to upload.
Click the Submit button to complete your upload. The date will appear in the “Date Uploaded” column within minutes of the upload. Repeat this process until all required documents are submitted by their deadlines.
Mailing in Documents: If you prefer to submit required documents by mail, you must print your Cover Sheet from “My Documents” and send it with your documents to the address it provides at least 10 days before the deadlines.
Key information you need to know about our school as you complete the 2021-22 PFS
Our school’s full name: Jewish Middle School of Nashville
Our SSS code: 200175
Contact information for our financial aid office: Becky Gunn (email@example.com)
Deadline for completing the PFS: December 1, 2020
Deadline for required documents: December 1, 2020
Documents we require you to submit with your PFS:
1040 with all schedules and worksheets*
W2 Form: Tax Year: 2020 2019
1099 Form: Tax Year: 2020 2019
*Self-Employed Parents: Include all related business forms with your 1040 file (i.e., Schedule C, Schedule E, 1120, 1065, and K-1).